Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Day Before Thanksgiving

Hello blog world! I created a blog shortly after I graduated and didn't follow through with it. I hope that I can do better with this one. Instead of the typical intro blog post (which I will do in coming days), I thought it would be appropriate to create my "thankful list" in this first post...that way you readers (well, future readers) can get to know me better and find out what is truly important in my life. Every morning on my way to work (those days that I do work), I have a quiet time...this is my time with God that I can really thank Him for all that He has done and to lift up any prayer requests I have been given. This morning, the day before Thanksgiving, I spent my quiet time thinking of everything I have to be thankful for. So in honor of the 30 days in November, I am giving you 30 things I am thankful for.

I am thankful for...

  1. My God, who I can talk to about anything...who blesses me above and beyond...and who answers my prayers in ways I could never have imagined.
  2. My husband. I am beyond thankful for him. He is an incredible part of my life that I really think makes me a better person. He works his butt off for our family and has allowed me to work part-time so that I can be the mother I've always dreamed of being. He left his family in Florida, to live in Georgia with me.
  3. My sweet son, E. E is 7 months old and he has already taught me so much. I cannot imagine my life without him. He has created so much joy in my heart. I cannot wait to watch him grow up and see what he becomes. He sure makes me one proud mom.
  4. My parents. My sweet mom takes care of E while I am at work and I am forever grateful that she can do that. I know he will learn so much from her and get her gentle spirit. My dad is so proud of his grandson and this past weekend he took him to a basketball game because he wants to create a special bond between them. 
  5. My brother. My brother and his fiance' are such an important part of my life. For as long as I can remember, my brother has been my best friend and now he has met his true soul mate. I love both of them an incredible amount.
  6. My in-laws. I have wonderful in-laws (both Jon's parents and his brother and sister and their spouses...and of course our nieces and nephews). 
  7. My pets. I love love love my pets. I have a 3.5 year old Maltzu, Milly, and a 4.5 year old cat, Missy. They can make the worst day better.
  8. My grandparents. I have 3 living grandparents and Jon has his grandmother (who might-as-well be my grandmother). I am not only thankful for the influence they have had in my life, but I am so glad that E will get to know his great-grandparents...something I didn't get to do.
  9. My friends. I have some of the best friends a girl could ever dream of. I have a few very close friends, but I also have friends that it doesn't matter how long it's been since we last talked. My friends are near and far, old and young...
  10. My Sunday School class. These are my friends, yes, but they are also my accountability partners, my prayer warriors, and my advice givers. I know that we will get to raise our children together and that is an awesome awesome thing.
  11. Job. Of course there are days that I don't like my job, but I love all of the people with. I have an incredible boss that has been super flexible since I became a mother and I am surrounded by an office full of love. And in this economy, I am thankful that I have a job.
  12. My house. Even though it's frustrating to me that our house has been on the market for such a long time, I am thankful that I have a roof over my head. I know that our house will sell one day...hopefully sooner than later ;)
  13. Food. Anybody that knows me, knows that I love food an incredible amount. I am thankful for good food...fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, cornbread, and delicious cake (can you tell I'm from the south?)
  14. Dance. I've danced over half my life and it's something that comes as naturally to me as breathing. 
  15. Music. There is nothing better than listening to music and finding something to match my mood. I have XM which has been such a great thing on all of trips to Florida, but it's also great because it's easy to find something I like.
  16. Life. Do I really have to explain this one? Do any of us deserve to be living? Do any of us deserve to have all of the luxuries we have?
  17. People in high positions. Hey, I don't want to be president, mayor, etc. Maybe I don't always agree with their politics or decisions, but I'm glad it's them and not me.
  18. Service people. After one my best friends got back from Afghanistan, I realized how thankful I am for those that serve our country and protect our freedoms. It's not something just anybody can do or want to do.
  19. Nature. I am especially grateful during the gorgeous seasons of fall and spring. Right now there is a crispness to the air and the leaves are amazing colors of red, yellow and orange.
  20. The "little" people. By little, I mean those that we don't think of often. Those that clean the toilets and mop the floors, those that serve us food, those that don't have as much as us. I am thankful that these people teach me from their humbleness.
  21. My enemies. Yes, I am thankful for them. God calls us to love our enemies...and I'm definitely working on that one.
  22. Coffee. There's no way I could live my life without coffee, but on a serious note I believe coffee brings people together. It's always been something my mom and I have done when we have something to talk about (or nothing to talk about).
  23. Health. Perhaps this should have been higher up on my list, but that's okay. I'm glad that I'm healthy and my family is healthy. 
  24. Education. I'm a big advocate for public education and I'm so glad that our country allows the opportunity for all children to get an education. 
  25. Hope. Everyday we have something to look forward to and that is the hope that keeps us all moving along in this life.
  26. Sleep. As a newish mother, it's nice to have an extra 5 minutes of sleep.
  27. Other cultures. I love traveling and though it's on the back burner right now due to a little one, I'm thankful that one day Jon and I will get to explore more countries together.
  28. The people of Costa Rica. After many mission trips to CR, the people there have truly stolen my heart.
  29. The opportunity to be a mother. (I know I've already mentioned E). Not everyone gets to be a mother and give birth to a child. God has gifted me with the best gift I could ever receive and trusted me to take care of His child...what an honor that is!
  30. Life experiences. I have learned so much in this life. Every job I've had, every person I've met, every trial. Life has ups and downs (and I've sure experienced some), but these experiences have made me stronger.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw your comment about the Lilly dress on eBay. You're right! That is a pic of me, but thats not my listing. Someone must have found it on google. Interesting. I'll look out for your monkey prints. :)

    ReplyDelete