Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Workout Wednesday: Running Reflection

Almost a year ago...on June 3, 2013 I decided to start training for a 15K. If you've read any of  my posts on running, you know that I had never run before this date. I actually hated running, made fun of it and said I had no interest in it. Our Junior League hosted a 15K in September and I knew that if I wasn't going to "suck" then I needed to train. My first run wasn't even 2 miles and it was SLOW. Running anything under 10 minutes was an accomplishment for me...and that didn't happen very often.

By the time I ran the 15K (and after I had sprained my ankle and spent 6 weeks in a boot) I was running under 9 minute miles and averaged less than 9 minutes on my 15K. I made the decision after I ran the 15K that if I could run that far, then surely I could run 13.1 miles in two weeks...so I ran a half marathon two weeks later. I ran faster on that run then the 15K and I guess I got the running bug. I took the next couple of months off from training (but still running 3-4 times a week). Running really helped me to feel better, gave me time to myself and helped build up muscle (and lose the last few baby lbs I needed to shed).

It's now a year later and I'm still running. I ran another half in April (which you've probably read about). I will start training for a half in October soon...but right now I am just doing a few runs (short runs at that) a week.

Some days it is hard to motivate yourself to run, but I know that if I just get out there and do it, I will feel better when I get back (no, I don't necessarily feel better when I'm doing it). I don't love running. In fact, most days I hate running, but I love what it does for me mentally, physically, emotionally and even spiritually (you can definitely spend time with God on your runs).

I am proud of what I have accomplished in a year. I'm not sure that I'll run forever, but I do know that it's a great way to stay in shape :)

Xo,

1 comment: