Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thoughtfulness Thursday: What Boys Need from Their Moms

If you haven't read this article: http://familydiary.co.za/whats-on-in-family-diary/for-the-mums-and-dads/235--17-things-boys-need-from-their-moms.html you should read it.

I will be the first to admit that I didn't think that I'd be a good "boy's mom." I'm such a girly girl (well in some way...I don't mind to get dirty and I can play sports with the best of them) that I thought "what in the world will I do with a boy?" So I loved reading this post about what this writer thought boys needed from their moms. I've learned a lot of this along the away (well, almost 3 years of being a "boy mom").

Some of my favorite things that boys need (with my summaries below them):

To be showered with affection.
I think this is insanely important. Boys need to know that they are loved and they need to be loved so that they can love their future wives. E is super affectionate. I know I've mentioned his constant snuggles before, but he really is an insane snuggler. Just the other day, I wasn't feeling well and he leaned over and kissed my head. I almost died because it was the sweetest thing in the world. I think a lot of times people think that boys just need to be tough. Yes, they need to be tough, but they also need to have tenderness that they can show to a woman and their future children.

To be told secrets.
One thing that I've always loved about my brother's relationship with my mom, is that he can talk to her about anything. I know my husband is the same way with his mom. I only pray that E has this relationship with me. I want him to know that I will always be there for him and never judge him. I may hate some of the decisions he makes, but he can always come to me.

To learn the kinds of things that women need.
Being from the South, I think this one is super important. Boys need to know what it's like to be a gentleman, to pay for a woman's meal, to bring her flowers and to open the door for her. Too many times I get a door slammed in my face, with my hands full and 2 year-old on my hip by some guy that didn't have the time to hold the door. E will never do that.

To respect. To learn to say sir and miss.
E will be respectful and this goes hand-in-hand with manners. I still call my parents "sir" and "ma'am". My co-workers get onto me for being over the top polite. I don't care. Manners get you far in life. 

Comfort.
This goes back to affection. I want E to know that it's okay to cry and that when he does, I will be there. When he gets his heart broken for the first time...I will hug him and love him. When he has a bone sticking out of his arm, I'll probably pass out, but then I'll wipe away his tears.

His mom to be his biggest fan.
I don't want E to ever doubt that I am his number 1 fan. No matter what he is doing, whether he is terrible at it or fantastic, I will be there cheering him on. I will support him in everything he decides to do.

So, these are just a few of the 17 things that the writer wrote. If you're a "boy mom" you should read the article. It's sweet and will probably make you tear up. Yes, boys are a different breed...one that I don't understand half the time, but gah I love my little boy. 

And to make you giggle just a little about being a boy mom, I had to post this video:
http://www.wimp.com/hilariousversion/.

Xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment