Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thursday Thoughtfulness: Mommyhood Isn't Glamorous, Part II

I love when I find a blog post that relates so well to my life that I could have written it myself. This is that article: http://faithandcomposition.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/when-mothering-is-hard-and-no-one-sees/

Like I have been doing, I like to share a post with you and then give you my perspective on that. What parts of this holds true to my life? Well, I blogged about how my life wasn't super glamorous and this writer just confirms that I'm not the only one. On days that I'm not working, I try to sleep in as long as I can, but I do wake up to E who is ready to get up, eat breakfast and have my undivided attention. 

Doesn't this quote sound just like what I wrote a couple of weeks ago?

"She’s barely wiped the sleep from her eyes and has yet to pour a cup of coffee before diapers need to be changed and the dog must be let out."

I just told someone today that I come to the office 2.5 days a week to relax. I don't mean that I'm not doing work at the office...I sure as heck am. But it's a different kind of work. Work work is less physically draining than staying home with E. "Her job, nay her calling, begins before her feet even hit the floor. There is no commute to the office, no clocking in for motherhood."
I swear I hadn't read this when I wrote my other post, but these are basically my words "This isn’t a glamorous role, and no one is applauding her this morning." No one really applauds motherhood. I know my husband acknowledges how hard it is and E is grateful to me, but there's no award that really shows you how greatly appreciated you are. There are no words that can express how hard you have worked on something and there is no physical outcome (like a booklet or publication) that you can see. I think moms applaud other moms which is great. I often tell my friends what a great mom they are, simply because I know how much it means to me when they tell me that. My most proud moment was when my own mom told me what a great mom was (she does this all the time, but I'll never forget the first time). My mom is an incredible mother and for her to tell me that I'm a great mom...boy did that make me feel good.

I know my husband notices things most of the time, but don't all of us wish that things were noticed more? What about the fact that I was on my hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor before my in-laws came?! Did that get noticed...no, probably not. What about the fact that there isn't a huge pile of laundry...did that get noticed...not really. "She does the hard work, the mundane tasks, and most of the time, she does it all without an eye to see. And sometimes she wonders if anyone notices."

My favorite paragraph in the entire post is this one, "This calling of motherhood is a service unlike anything else, where the privilege of giving life is tempered by a daily dying to self. It’s the very nature of motherhood. Sometimes I do it well, and sometimes I do it poorly. Sometimes I meet my children’s needs with grace and humility, and then other times I look in the mirror and see ugly, selfish pride staring right back. Sometimes this laying down of self is affirmed by slobbery kisses, vice-like hugs and countless “I-love-you-to-the-moon-and-back” sentiments, and other times I feel as though it’s all in vain."

When you think that no one sees or no one else cares, you can remember that God does see and he does care. And that should be what matters most. If I can honor God in my mothering to E, then I feel like I have accomplished everything in the world. God has given us the incredible privilege to be mothers to our kids. Sometimes I think to myself "how in the world did I get so lucky?" It's not luck, it's the blessing that the good Lord has bestowed upon us. Just remember as you lay your life down for your child...as you are exhausted and weary...Jesus also did that for us. That puts things in perspective, huh?!

Xo,

1 comment: