Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thoughtfulness Thursday: Daughers be good to your Mothers

With Mother's Day approaching, I thought I'd share an article that I found this post about the 30 Signs Your Mother is the Best Person in Your Life: http://elitedaily.com/women/30-signs-your-mother-is-the-best-person-in-your-life/. Naturally, I knew I had to read this because I adore my mother. My mom and I have always been close. I only remember one time (when I was a senior in high school) that my mom and I fought. I've always respected her and been able to talk to her about anything. When I was three years old I started having coffee dates with my mom. We would sit on the porch and talk about everything as we drank our coffee. My mom built that relationship early on and it really has stuck. If I have a daughter one day, I know that she and I will have a wonderful relationship because I have had a wonderful one with my mom. I also know that if I have a daughter, she will have an amazing grandmother (she'll have two amazing grandmothers). The most important moments of my life have been shared with my mom. Yes, I've shared incredible moments with my husbands, but it was also important for my mom to be present. Every crazy high school relationship, college, marriage and E's birth (actually my mom wasn't there when E was born, but she was there with me the entire day before I had E).

So which of these signs did I relate to the most?

1. She’s the first one you call with good news.
This one is pretty self-explanatory. I am always super excited to tell my mom good news because she's one of my biggest fans. I also like calling her with good news because she's super excited for me and always has great advice.

2. She will be honest when something doesn’t look good on you.
I love shopping with my mom because I can tell by the look on her face when she doesn't think something looks good. And she's not afraid to tell me that something isn't flattering. I greatly appreciate it. Yes, sometimes it hurts my feelings, but it would probably hurt my feelings more if she didn't tell me it looked bad and then I wore it.

3. She will tell you when you’re being a brat.
My mom has probably never come out and said "Julia you're being a brat" but she doesn't have to. She can tell me without saying it in words and I do appreciate it. As the youngest and the only daughter, I can definitely be a brat. I feel sorry for my brother because I was the princess growing up...sometimes I still think I am. Sometimes you need to be put in your place.

4. She will listen to your dramatic stories and your stories with no end.
My mom is the best listener. I'm pretty sure I repeat stories over and over and over. Sometimes they are way more dramatic than they are in real life, but she doesn't care...she listens anyway.

5. She’s the one you can brag to about your accomplishments and express shame for your mistakes, without fearing judgment.
My mom doesn't judge me...I love that about her. I've done some dumb stuff in my life and she's always stood by me. She's told me when I've done dumb things, but she's never stopped supporting me. She's also always been there when I've had great accomplishments--amazing grades, a dance performance, my first job, my first child, etc.

6. She will drop everything to be at your beck and call when you’re sick, whether it’s a common cold or the flu.
Whenever I'm sick, I call my mom (mostly because I never know what kind of medicine to take). When I had surgery, my mom was there for me...not only did she help take care of E, but she came over and cleaned my house, did my laundry, fixed me food...and was really just there in case I needed her.

7. She’ll support your interests and encourage you to stay true to your passions.
My mom has always been my fan. When I was younger and danced, she made sure that I did what I loved. It didn't matter how much it cost, she wanted me to pursue my dreams. Any time I've been passionate about anything...she supports me and helps me get through the training for it. I changed my major from magazine writing to public relations halfway through college and she was beyond supportive of that. She knew that public relations was what I was born to do (without even telling me that). When I ran my first half, she was at the finish line and called me later to tell me what a big deal it was and how proud of me she was. I'm am so thankful for not only the financial encouragement and support she (and my dad) have given me over the years, but the unconditional support of helping me live out my dreams.

8. She will go above and beyond, through the toughest of conditions, just to make sure you’re happy.
Growing up we didn't have a ton of money, but my mom went out of her way to make sure I had everything I needed and that I was happy. She sacrificed for herself, so that I could have name brand clothes (mostly from consignment stores) and stuff for dance. I never, ever went without...but she did.
9. She will buy you something spontaneously just because she knows you’ll like it.
This one defines my mom so much...my brother would agree. I swear my mom shows love through gift-giving. She loves LOVES LOVES when she can get us something that we like or want. And she gets it just because.
Mom, I love you...I'm thankful for our friendship. I'm thankful for our coffee chats...and I'm thankful that God blessed me with a beautiful example of a mother.

Xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment