Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thoughtfulness Thursday: E's Second Birthday Party

I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a crazy party planner. As we enter April, I have already planned E's 3rd (yes, THIRD) birthday. As that thought process is about to come to fruition (with his party next week), we can reflect on his second birthday (which was posted on Hostess with the Mostess on July 1...BTW that's a big deal and I might have screamed when I heard!).

The post below is what was on the site...that's why it's in third person :)


With a little boy who loves tractors, Julia Mills simply had to throw a {John Deere Inspired} Tractor Birthday Party for Everett’s 2nd birthday! She made it creative and fun with clever named food, a red gingham birthday outfit and backyard tractor rides!
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:

– Toy tractor topped farm field birthday cake by Cecila Villaveces– Free Tractor Rides, Table Doodling and a Tractor Piñata!
– Cowboy Caviar, Water Trough & Chicken Feed











PARTY DETAILS, as told by Julia
THEME & DECOR
I thought I’d have a little more control of what kind of cutesy birthday party I was going to throw for my soon-to-be-two son, but boy was I wrong. When Everett was around 1.5 years old, he became obsessed with tractors, lawn mowers and dump trucks, so he really gave me no other choice when I asked him what kind of party he wanted. Right away he said “Tractor!” I knew as a graphic designer that I could do most of the decorations myself, so I began laying out the invitations, food labels, pennant banners in John Deere green and yellow.

The first thing I bought was craft paper in brown and yellow at a friend’s school supply store that was going out of business… I just knew that I wanted kids (and adults) to be able to write and doodle on the tables! I also had a great experience with Birthday Express the year before, so I checked them out and found confetti, stickers, party blowers, balloons, dessert napkins and plates, banners and even a matching piñata!

My husband made a run to the Tractor Supply Store and bought every toy tractor in there (that we used for the table and cake décor). Dinner plates, napkins and cups came from Party City in matching yellow and green. Other details quickly fell into place: the buckets that had the crayons in them were from the Dollar Store and Target Dollar Bin; the cowboy hats that the kids picked up on their way into the party were from Oriental Trading and tons of balloons in yellow, green, white and brown decorated the backyard. Other small details were things as simple as the forks wrapped in coordinating napkins tied with twine and farm animals decorating the windows.
ACTIVITIES
We left the games to a minimum (though there was pin the wheel on the tractor) because the tractor ride was by far the highlight of the entire day! A friend brought his tractor and took everyone on a hayride around the neighborhood…kids were literally running to get on! Kids also enjoyed our backyard playground, bubbles and chalk. The kids had a grand time hitting the piñata (filled with animal crackers and Dum Dums). Everyone got super excited with their favor bags that were filled with tractor toys (Party City), a farm book (Joann’s Fabrics), Cow Tail candy, Tractor Wheels (Oreos), and stickers (Dollar Store).
FOOD
The party was held in the late afternoon, so we stuffed guests with appetizers- pigs in a blanket, vegetable patch (veggies and dip), chicken feed (Chex Mix) and cowboy caviar (a homemade salsa). Dinner also went along with the farm theme- tractor wheels and cheese (macaroni and cheese), BBQ pork, fruit stand (assorted fruits), corn on the cob, watermelon, barnyard beans and farm dogs (hot dogs).
DESSERTS
The dessert was to die for. Our favorite local bakery, Cecila Villaveces created a custom strawberry cake for us, which was decorated beautifully with fields on top. Butterscotch haystacks topped off the dessert.
BIRTHDAY OUTFITS
Of course one of the most important parts of the party (in my opinion) was what to wear. Everett wore an amazing appliqué shirt with a big 2 and tractor on it (made by a friend) and gingham shorts made by My Little Obsession. I wore a Lilly Pulitzer dress (of course) in green and white!

Everett’s special day was documented by our wonderful photographer (and my brother), Dylan Wilson Weddings.

It was an amazing day that we’ll always treasure!

*****
VENDOR CREDITS:
– Party Design & Styling: Julia Mills
– Confetti, stickers, party blowers, balloons, dessert napkins and plates, banners, piñata: Birthday Express
– Dinner plates, napkins, cups, tractor toys: Party City
– Crayon Buckets: Dollar Store, Target (Dollar Section)
– Cowboy Hats: Oriental Trading
– Cake: Cecila Villaveces
– Dress: Lilly Pulitzer
– Gingham Shorts: My Little Obsession
– Photography: Dylan Wilson Weddings

Here's to another exciting birthday party (this weekend!).

Xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment