Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thoughtfulness Thursday: Boys Are...

One of the biggest blessings in my life is becoming a mom to E. I never thought I'd be a good boy mom (I've shared that before) but I love it more than anything in the world. I love this list that captures boys into a list of 21 points (found here: http://joycannis.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/10-things-ive-learned-being-a-mom-of-boys/). I had to share this list because it was so so so true.
  1. They have one level of volume LOUD.
  2. They eat… constantly.
  3. They will find dirt where no dirt has ever been found.
  4. They wear cleats in the house.
  5. They run everywhere they go.
  6. They have an inhuman burst of energy around 7:30 p.m. and it’s best to let them get it out before attempting bedtime.
  7. They are surprisingly sensitive.
  8. They laugh at anything that involves “potty words.”
  9. They are incredibly curious, making everything an adventure.
  10. They love their mama.
  11. < I CANT STOP AT TEN! THERE ARE TOO MANY MORE. >
  12. They potty train successfully when allowed to hit a target (preferably outside… like on a tree or off the deck. Yep, I’m that mom)
  13. They will wake up on the weekend an hour before the sun comes up, but you will not be able to drag them out of bed for school.
  14. They have to be reminded multiple times a day to, lift the toilet seat, put the toilet seat down, flush the toilet, wash their hands…with soap, and to keep their pants on.
  15. They smell like wet puppies after playing outside. Whether it be for 5 minutes or 2 hours.
  16. They consider anytime a good time to get dirty.
  17. They don’t understand why I would ever want to have privacy.
  18. They give real hugs. Not the ones where you barely connect. The ones that squeeze all your breath out.
  19. They use any opportunity to be naked. The less clothes, the better.
  20. They take everything apart (including jewelry, lingerie drawers and large purses) in order to put it back together so they understand how it works (even if it doesn’t go back together.)
  21. They crave love, affection, encouragement, admiration and security as much as any of us girls do, they just don’t show it or need it expressed in the same way.
  22. They need the freedom to be boys.
The best thing I've learned about being a boy mom (from my friends that are girl moms) is that boys love their moms. I mean REALLY love their moms. There's a special bond there...one that I don't think will ever be broken. Boys are sensitive and sweet and want to protect their moms more than anything in the world (even at 3 years old). Boys are a totally different breed (one I may never fully understand) but E is my sweetest boy...and I thank God everyday for giving me a son to realize just how much our Lord loves us.

I love how the post ends because I could have written this:

I love being a mom to boys.

It’s never a dull moment. (Which is great! I bore easily.)
It’s always an adventure. (Who wants to sit around not living life anyway?)
It’s incredibly challenging. (I. Love. A. Challenge.)
It’s simple. (Have snacks EVERYWHERE you go.)
It’s immeasurably rewarding.

Sure, their clothes aren't pink and frilly and you can't get pedicures with them, but little boys are the best...no doubt about that!

Xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment