Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thoughtfulness Thursday: Packing

It seems like I got a huge response on Instagram after I posted both of the pictures below so I thought I would post about my packing. If you've read my blog for awhile, you know that I'm an extremely organized person. I start packing weeks in advance so I know that I have everything for a trip. Of course there are certain things that I can't pack until right before a trip, but most of the time my stuff is ready to go the week before. So, how do I do it?

I have a list that stays on my cellphone that includes the basics of what I need to bring for me and for E (the hubs packs for himself). I hand write that list onto an 8.5 x 11 paper that I've folded in half length-wise (one side for E, one side for me). I like handwriting it so that I can mark stuff off, add more stuff and carry it around the house while I get stuff. I try to organize in categories: 1) clothes/shoes 2) bath stuff/makeup 3) accessories 4) other necessities (camera, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc). E's list is a similar format with an added category for sleep stuff and toys/snacks.

So here's my thinking. I think through each day and what I need. Do I need something to wear during the day and at night? Then I make a tally of number of shorts I'll need and number of things to wear in the evenings (dresses) that I'll need. I'm an over-packer, but I'm always prepared.

The below lists were my lists for Charleston. I ended up not wearing one of my dresses and that's all! E came back with several clean outfits, but with kiddos it's better to be safe than sorry.

The other thing I do as I pack is circle things that I need to remember to pack last minute (hair dryer, E's monitor, a pair of shoes I might be wearing the day before, etc.). I've found that if I circle these things then I will definitely see them.



Here are three check lists that are useful as you begin packing for the beach:


The best advice I can give is to hold onto your list and add and remove from it for each trip you make. You're always going to need some things (underwear, makeup, etc) but you may not always need a swimsuit and sunscreen.

If you keep your basic list in your phone, you can add items as you think of them (just the other day I was thinking, "I need to bring Motrin for E." so I added it to my list and then wrote it on my big list when I got home.

It's also good to hold onto the list that you packed from and put it on the top part of your suitcase...that way when you're packing up you can make sure you are bringing everything home (this is especially helpful with toys!).

Happy packing!

Xo,

2 comments:

  1. My heart just skipped a beat - I live for packing lists! It makes it so helpful and you are never stressed that you forgot something when you arrive!

    ReplyDelete