Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Workout Wednesday: Rolling

So even though I've only run one half marathon, I've still done some long distance running. People seem most curious about what happens after you've run. Well, my number one thing is that I believe in the power of massage. If you can schedule massages sporadically throughout your training, you'll feel and do better. I also usually get a massage about a week before my race and make sure that it's not too deep. Also, plan on getting a massage a few days after your race...it will help your recover faster (you don't want to get one right away because you'll be sore from running). In the meantime, if you can't get massages, the next best thing is a roller.

BCG™ Fitness Foam Roller 
Most rollers are only about $20...this is the one I use from Academy Sports. Rollers help relieve muscle soreness and improve mobility and core flexibility. If you've ever heard someone talk about them, they'll say "they hurt so good." It's the truth...especially on your ITB...they hurt but afterwards you feel fantastic. 

You can find lots of YouTube videos on the best ways to roll for certain problem areas, but here are a few of my favorites:

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/foam-roller-video-series

I find it especially helpful to roll my ITB and calves out before and after a run. It's a nice reward for sure!

Here's to health and recovery!

Xo,

2 comments:

  1. I will have to give one of those a try; I have been trying to get back into working out!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, you'll be surprised at how good it makes you feel! Xo!

      Delete