Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Thankfulness Tuesday: Christmas Tradition

I love tradition. I love having something that I know that we are going to do...something to look forward to. Part of becoming a family is creating your own traditions...taking some from his family and taking some from your family. It's fun to come up with new ideas too. A few of my favorite Christmas traditions are advent season, cutting down a tree and Christmas Eve service. I also love Christmas parties and dressing up in fancy clothes.

 

When I was growing up, my mom started the tradition of the advent calendar. Every other day (my brother would get a gift every other day too--so say I got even days and he got odd days) we would get a small gift leading up to Christmas. They weren't big gifts, but small things that we could enjoy throughout the holiday season. I've continued this tradition with E (and will with his future siblings--no I'm not pregnant). Obviously the picture above is not our advent calendar (but we have the same one from Pottery Barn Kids). Each day E gets a small gift (a book, a bath toy, a coloring book, etc.) and we talk about the reason for the season. It was always something I looked forward to growing up and I hope our kids will too.

Tree cutting is another one of my favorite things to do (this picture is from last year). There's nothing better than having a live tree in your home and having your child run through all of the trees to pick one! This year we went with our neighbors which made it even more fun for E.

There's nothing better than a candlelight Christmas Eve service (no picture necessary) and singing Silent Night. It brings chills just to think about it. And then to go into church and sign Joy to the World the next Sunday!

We also love going to Christmas parties. Last year we hosted our Sunday School party at our house. It was a lot of work, but so nice to have our friends enjoy our decorations. We go to several holiday parties throughout the season and it's always nice to be close to loved ones during this time of year.

I hope that you have the most blessed holiday season of all! Much love to you from me!

Xo,

J



No comments:

Post a Comment