Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Workout Wednesday: Running drink/eats

I've had friends ask me what I use/wear when I'm running. I won't cover it all today, but I'll start with a few basics. I don't run with water. I have plenty of friends who love to run with water, but I can't...in fact, I don't drink much water at all when I do long runs. I prefer to hydrate a ton the night before (or if it's an evening run hydrate during the day). I do love Gu. I use both the gels and the chews.
 
It's better if I leave the description of these to the experts: With a blend of carbohydrates, amino acids, antioxidants and electrolytes, GU Chomps energy chews give you something to sink your teeth into while pounding the pavement or hitting the trail.

I will say these are easy on my stomach but they're not as easy to pack as Gu gels (see below).
 
I stole this description from the website: GU Energy Gel Nutritional Supplements maintain blood glucose levels, delays physical and mental fatigue, prevents muscle damage, and aids in recovery.
  • Contains 40mg caffeine
  • Over 100% of daily allowances of vitamins C and E in every serving
  • Comprised of 85% complex carbs and 15% simple sugars
  • Formulated with all 3 branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs): leucine, isoleucine, and valine
  • Contains histidine which buffers lactic acid accumulation
Espresso is my favorite flavor (though if you're not a big coffee fan, you won't like it) and it gives me a huge boast of energy. If it's a long run, I use both gels and chomps...I plan out when I'll get them and it's my reward for running as far as I have.
 
Pre-running, I love a glass of pineapple juice. It's been found to help control blood sugar and it also contains bromelain, which acts as a natural anti-inflammatory that could accelerate muscle repair. It also makes your sweat smell sweet (just added bonus).

 
Y'all, I live for this stuff. There are tons of studies that say cherry juice is as good for inflammation as Motrin or Tylenol. It also makes recovery faster after a race. You can buy it in the capsule form (less calories than the actual juice) but I actually enjoy drinking the juice. Trader Joe's is by far my favorite...if it's too tart for you, mix it with a little water. You can find more info here: http://getfit.jillianmichaels.com/benefits-tart-cherry-juice-1520.html 

 
My last beverage choice is a post-run one. I love a big glass of chocolate milk (Horizon 2% milk and Hershey's syrup) after a run. Chocolate milk is the perfect carb load after you've burned them all off. See more info here: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

More to come on my running favs (there's so much to say and I've learned so much in the past few months!). 

Xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment